Monday, August 5, 2013

Playing House

Yesterday was Sunday.The day before that was Saturday. I promise this isn't turning into a bad Rebbecca Black song, sometimes I just have to remind myself of the day, or I start thinking it's Wednesday when it's really Friday.
 
So, yesterday was probably my favorite day of the week: Sunday.
Church during the 7 week break is at 10:00 am, which is the PERFECT time in my mind. Spring semester we had it at 1:00 and it was....not ideal.
We all came to church, which we have in the Barrus Concert Hall in the Snow building on campus, and the lights were out. Only a couple of them were on, but for the most part we were sitting in the dark. We started sacrament meeting late because some people were trying to figure out the light situation.
We started in the dark, and after the sacrament was passed, one of the technician guys there figured out how to get the lights on. I was actually kind of bummed because it felt cozy, but the testimonies that were shared were great, nonetheless.
 
Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society were both really good this Sunday. In Relief Society, we talked about the Priesthood, and the duty of women to help men uphold their priesthood duties and how we can encourage them to use it.
We came up with a little list of ways that we, as women, can help the Priesthood holders to use their priesthood:
-Allow them to be gentlemen
-Allow them to "provide"
-Express your gratitude for them exercising their priesthood
-Respect their priesthood
-Treat men as men, and they will become men


 
After church, I headed home to make dinner for Matt! I decided that because he was going to be leaving for a few days to Moscow, Idaho for a conference it would be nice to make dinner for him so he had one less thing to worry about before he left. I had this dinner planned out since Thursday and I was really excited to get back into cooking. I've missed it, and let's be honest, I never really had any time or room to cook during the semester.
Being a poor college student, I was kind of dreading buying the fruit and other produce needed for this dinner, but I guess I went on the perfect day because I bought all THIS for only $22.

 
*Red potatoes, Olive Oil, Bananas, Lemons, Kiwi, Cucumbers, Romaine lettuce, raspberries, blackberries, peppers (not pictured), and carrots (not pictured).*
 
I made Pan-Roasted Chicken with Lemon-Garlic Green Beans and Potatoes. I was a little bit worried about the lemon-y-ness of the whole thing, and I was right, it was VERY lemony.







 
 I also made a green salad (A lot of it...I like salad): romaine, cucumbers, orange bell peppers, carrots, and celery.
 
And for dessert: FRUIT PIZZA! I was really excited about this one, but I accidentally cooked the "dough" a little too long so it didn't turn out the way it usually does, but it was still good.
*This is my own recipe. If you want it, don't be afraid to ask!*
 
 We ate outside in The Willow's courtyard because there wasn't a third person in my apartment (Honor Code), but it was a really nice evening, so it worked out.
Once we started eating, I automatically started making changes and improvements for the chicken dish for next time. I'm my greatest critic. Matt swore to me that it was really good. He agreed with me that the lemon was really strong, so that's something I'd change, but he ate it like a champ.
We ate, and talked, and laughed.
By the time we brought out the dessert, we were both so full, that we could only do a small amount of damage to the fruit pizza. We kind of sat there laughing at the enormity of it, but our friends Megan and Amanda came and ate it with us. We spent about two hours with Amanda and Megan talking before we went back to Matt's apartment.
Overall, dinner was good and fun, but I definitely have some recipe mending to do.
We had a nice evening: we ate, talked, wrote letters to missionaries, I helped him pack and "press" his clothes for his trip to Moscow.

Oh, they all awarded me "major wife points" for the dinner. I guess I'm wife material!
 Good to know!;)

No comments: