Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Very Different, Very Happy Mother's Day.

My mom is an amazing woman. She has always been the greatest example to me. My mom deserves the moon and all the stars.
I never appreciated my mom until I was a senior in high school, but I never knew how much I loved my mom until I left for school 1,700 miles away from her.


My mom has been a strength to me my entire life. She has always been two shoulder to cry on, a hug to embrace, hands to feed, a mouthpiece  to advise and a friend to laugh with.

My Mom has always been there to comfort me from when my best friend in middle school decided she didn't want to be my friend anymore, to helping me decide what I want to be and who I want to be when I grow up, to helping me stay sane while planning my wedding.

She has always been a support to me when I wanted to start sewing, when I wanted to start dancing, when I was absolutely terrified to sing an Amazing Grace solo at my senior year choir concert, when I wanted to change my major and when I decided to marry Chris along with countless other times.

My mom never made my decisions for me, even when I wanted her to so I wouldn't have to, but allowed and expected me to make my own choices, knowing (even when I didn't) that I'd choose the right path.
My mom has always been my best friend but she always was my mother first and foremeost which I am so thankful for. At times that I wish my mom would have just been my friend rather than my mother was when I needed her to be my mother most.

She helped raise six strong, intelligent, beautiful, and talented daughters (I'm a little bias toward my sisters' characters) and for that I am ever grateful. The ability she has to support all of us, her sons-in-law, her grandchildren and her husband (who is only in the country every other month or so) and do it with a smile even when life is hard, is truly inspiring and I am so lucky to be her baby.

My Mommy will never and could never be replaced by anyone in the entire world. I always miss her and when I do get to see her, it isn't enough time. I love my mom so much and I could never begin to explain how thankful I am to her for all she has done for me. I can only hope to be as amazing, strong, beautiful, kind and selfless as she is.


This Mother's Day marks the first year for the rest of my life that I get to thank not only my birth mom and not just one mother in law, but two, for being amazing examples of strong women.

I'm getting married in 80 days to the best man that I've ever dated. Normally, when getting married, a girl gains a mother-in-law, but I get the opportunity to have two mothers-in-law.

Myra, Chris' step-mom, is a sweet woman. She loves her children and her step-children with everything she has. She accepted me when we first met and for that I am so thankful. The love and welcome I felt was comforting and I am so happy to be marrying into such a wonderful family. Myra loves her family and it is obvious to anyone that she would do anything for them. She helped bring into this world four beautiful spirits that I get to have as younger siblings (I finally get to have younger siblings!) She is an amazing woman who I am so excited to get to know a little bit better.

Chris' mother, Kelly, is not someone that I've had the pleasure to meet and someone I won't have the opportunity to meet in this life. As much as I wish that I could have met her before her time on this beautiful earth was up, I know what an amazing mother she is. I see the influence and impact she had on Chris everyday. I know by the way he talks about her, that she was a strong, beautiful woman who loved her family.
 Even though I don't get to meet her in this life, I know that she is part of the reason that I get to be happy for eternity. She brought into this world, my future sister-in-law and brother-in-law, and the wonderful, handsome man I get to marry for time and all eternity and for that I am eternally grateful. I love hearing stories of her life and I love hearing about the type of mother she was. I can only hope that she would love and accept me into her family. I cannot wait to meet her one day.

A Few Words from Chris:
Motherly Tribute


"This day always comes and goes, every year, intermixed with busy schedules, the typical social media posts and,phone calls made across the world. This year, as Mother's day is finally here, I want to take some time to truly reflect on the importance of mothers as a whole but also focus on my own mother and what she has taught me.


My mother, Kelly, has been a huge influence in my life. She raised me to be who I am today and has shaped a lot of the decisions I have made in my life. People always say you don't know how good something is until it's gone and I truly feel this way about my mother. She passed away over 10 years ago, yet, everything she taught me in the 14 years I had with her has brought me to where I am now. Sure, some people may feel sorry for me, that such a tragedy occurred to my family at a very critical age and I simply respond with, "She is still teaching me things and shaping my future and always will because I am her son."

Mother, I am so proud and extremely grateful to have had one here on Earth. I am so thankful for the morals and things she has taught me in my life and the knowledge she has given me I continually use each and every day. But mostly, I am grateful that she brought me into this world and loved me with a love only a mother could have for her child. Thank you mom, I love you!!"


This Mother's Day, I am so thankful to all the women in my life who have ever been like a mother to me and I'm so thankful to my Mommy and to my future mothers.  I hope all women, mothers, future mothers, hopeful mothers, and even those who aren't sure that they want children, know how special and loved they are.

I am so excited to one day join the amazing Motherhood Club and hopefully raise my children with as much love as my mother raised me and my sisters.

"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." -Abraham Lincoln

No comments: